Header Image map

Home My Story Fancy Things Country Life Great Americans Entertaining Media/PR Contact Me Image Map

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Dodging Cow Pies

 I drive to and from the city each day and hear lots of sounds.  
But nothing is like the sound of a combine humming behind our house.
Yesterday, I came home to the hum of 3 different combines coming from three different directions, and I embraced the sounds while they lasted.


While there is so much to embrace during the harvest, there is a lot to dodge.

I dodge a lot of cow pies on our lane while I take walks.
They seem to not care if you step in them, but they do care that I am in their way.


I dodge my inner caregiver by making countless sandwiches.


I dodge my anxiety about safety for my husband and the other farmers while drinking lots of wine.

I dodge the fact that this is not the time of  year to make "honey do" lists.

I try, really try, to dodge long conversations and updates about my day while I deliver dinner and when he comes home really late.

I dodge the fact that this has been the only place I have seen my husband in a week.
But I embrace the beautiful sunsets we can watch together even if it's for 30 seconds.


When you're married to a farmer, you have to embrace the chores that you usually try to dodge. 
For me, that would be taking the trash to the farm, feeding the dog, and mowing the grass.

I have to dodge the tall grass that is finally growing around my new walkway, finally.  Because really I am still trying to dodge not getting on the lawn mower.

But I get to embrace 10 minutes here and there when the farmer calls and says, "get your camera, we're headed to the pasture."  We took a few moments this harvest to feed the cows some buckets full of immature soybean pods that weren't ready for harvest.


I try to dodge laundry by going to fancy parties at our Indiana State Museum and celebrating our Indiana history.  What's great about our history, is that it always includes farmers and agriculture.


When I arrive home I try to dodge the boys from seeing me taking photos.


When I am in the city, I don't dodge from telling our story about the farm, agriculture and harvest.
In fact last week as I sat in the city at a dinner while my farmer sat in a tractor, I embraced conversations about GMOs, antibiotics in livestock and the fluctuating grain market.


While I don't get to ride along in the tractors and trucks often, I never dodge opportunities to embrace our farm life and from educating people about agriculture.


And while the cow pies on my walks are getting harder to see as the sun sets earlier, 
I have embraced the fact that I might step in one.  

It's "just part of it" as dad would say.  
So I just go along and step in them so I can embrace the sounds of the farm as I watch the beautiful sunsets.



No comments:

Post a Comment