Header Image map

Home My Story Fancy Things Country Life Great Americans Entertaining Media/PR Contact Me Image Map

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Backhoes & Bottles with a side of Fancy

I never thought I would appreciate waking up in my own house on a Saturday as much as I do these days.  Life is busy this time of year and really every time of year.

But I cherish Saturdays at home more and more.  Sometimes so much that I get yelled at by my farmer husband.  

"Have you gone outside today?"
"No," I reply.
"Well maybe you should go blow the stink off of you."

Eh....not in this weather!  

The farmer was gone all last week, and I was so excited to have him home.  
However, he's a farmer and like many farmers he can't sit still and was outside most of the day.

Plus, he had to clear the driveway since it has piled up this week.  Don't worry, this country girl maneuvered her way up and down it all week with no troubles!  I'm just grateful we have equipment on the farm to get it done efficiently!


After catching up on some chores at the farm and a trip to town, he came home to make a warm bottle for a calf that has had trouble nursing from it's momma.  He also brought his cow-manure-smelling boots home that can't go outside because it's to cold.  My kitchen stinks like a barnyard!


But before he could leave the house with that warm bottle, I needed coffee.
In this fancy in the country house, we use a french press for our coffee. 


Saturdays at home include laundry, catching up on emails and volunteer work and a great dinner.
So I didn't get the stink off of me but I did make one of our favorite salads!

I replicated this recipe from a restaurant in Indianapolis.  My recipe isn't as fancy as theirs and doesn't have ingredients that I can't spell in it.

I call it the Potato, Apple & Celery Dish.


Ingredients include:
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
3 purple potatoes
3 celery ribs, diced
2 green apples, diced
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Pepper
Walnuts, to your liking
Goat Cheese, to your liking
Apple Cider Vinaigrette, to your liking


Slice and quarter the potatoes and roast them in the oven or saute them in a pan with olive oil and a pinch of salt (I prefer this method so I can monitor).  When they are done and firm, don't let them get mushy, then let them sit for a bit to cool.

Slice the celery and apples.  When the potatoes have cooled, add the celery and apple pieces, a bit of pepper, the handful of walnuts (or whatever you like) and the dressing to your liking.  We don't like too much.  Then top with chunks of goat cheese! 


If you are like me, make extra because it's a great leftover cold dish.  

I made triple the amount this time for the farmer because I didn't blow the stink off of me that day.  
He appreciates it but still shakes his head at me.  
He got over it and we enjoyed a second french press and prepped the next bottle for the calf.  

The country chores in this fancy life include everything from a backhoe to a bottle, and I wouldn't have it any other way...stink and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment