Header Image map

Home My Story Fancy Things Country Life Great Americans Entertaining Media/PR Contact Me Image Map

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Does Your Freedom Ring?

Are you awake and aware enough to hear that flag blowing in the wind?


When you see that flag do you give thanks for your freedoms?  


Remember, what I asked you a month ago?  Are You a #GreatAmerican?  
Well today, as we approach our Independence Day and celebrate our freedoms with our family and friends ask yourself the question again.

Are you a Great American?

Ask yourself everyday!  Remind yourself everyday.  Challenge yourself to be a better person and a greater American every single day.  

And this week, during this class, I challenge you to learn about our Independence Day.  Learn one thing about how we got our freedoms and how we are able to keep them.  Or put a flag in your yard or say a prayer for our troops who protect our freedoms or give thanks for those that died in those fields, on those beaches, in those deserts or lost their life at sea.

As a child we didn't take many vacations, but when we did my dad took us to a battlefield or a battleship.  He would drag us there when all we wanted was to be on the beach.  But today I give thanks to him for taking us there so we would appreciate it and continue that tradition as adults.  I had the opportunity and honor to visit Pearl Harbor a few years ago.  

Our freedoms allow us to travel where we want and honor our fallen American heroes when we want.  


Our freedoms allow us to visit our forefathers' homes if and when we want like Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.  President Jefferson once said, "We have room for but one flag, the American flag....".


Our freedoms allow us to grow, eat, drink and be merry when we want.  

Our freedoms allow us to wear what we want. 

After a long day with corn growers and working in the American agriculture industry, I have the freedom to wear my red bubble necklace, drink my Budweiser beer and eat my all American hotdog at a baseball game--the Great American Pastime.  


Our freedoms allow me to visit our nation's capital to advocate for agriculture and allow others to do the same on a variety of issues.  When was the last time you used your freedom to visit your state or nation's capital, advocate, call your elected official and express your opinion or give testimony at a local hearing?


And then just a few days after my visits to our nation's capital, I have the freedom to drive my own car to my home and family farm to help run the farmers from one field to another.

And sometimes I don't have the freedom to change from my heels to my boots after driving straight from the city to the farm.  But "that's just part of it".  Part of having the freedom to live on a farm and my freedom to write about my life and your freedom to visit this blog and read about what it's like to be Fancy in the Country.


3 comments:

  1. One of my all-time favorite, all-American photos is still you holding the Budweiser beer, red nails, navy dress on the 4th of July - God Bless America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love reading your blog as a farmer's fiancée I feel like it gives me just a lil heads up on what to expect. Granted I was raised in the country but besides grandpa's stories and a few friends who farmed and a few I helped with 4-h projects over the summer I am feeling a bit unsure of what all to expect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you are enjoying the blog! Please reach out to me via the contact page if you have further questions and want some advice! Also, make sure you subscribe. As a farmer's wife, every day is different. Remember to be patient and supportive because a lot of what happens on the farm is out of our heads.

      Delete